Aesthetics and livability are crucial when designing interior spaces. Now more than ever, a comprehensive strategy is needed to deal with these issues. The question arises when you need to create or renovate your commercial or office area.
These are questions that can be answered using LED panel lights. In this article we will address some of the most common questions about these panel lights and try to shed light on the whys and wherefores behind this choice.
What is an LED panel light?
LED panel lights are suitable for any space with a suspended ceiling and are currently very popular among interior designers. False ceilings are becoming increasingly popular in public spaces such as businesses, schools and grocery shops.
It is also a popular answer to the question of how to deal with outdated fluorescent panel lighting in standard layout ceilings. These panel lights produce uniform illumination while reducing energy costs by up to 75%.
The LED consists of the following components.
- A light reflector is a component of the panel light that is used to increase the efficiency of the light source and improve the overall quality of the lighting. Because of this, the efficiency of the light is also improved.
- The light guide plate (LGP) is an important component of the panel light as it determines the lumen output of the light, prevents discolouration and provides a high degree of uniformity.
- The light source is an essential component of the LED panel light; in fact, the light source is the beating heart of the panel and the source of all light output. The main contributor to the panel’s powerful lumen output and low power consumption is the light source.
- The diffuser spreads the light along all angles, giving it a uniform light.
- The frame of the panel is the final element that holds the panel light in place once it is mounted on the ceiling.
As we now know what constitutes an LED panel light, we can discuss the various LED panel light types.
Types of LED panel lights
Based on mounting: pendant, recessed, surface mounted
Pendant LED Panel Light
- Suspended LED panel lights are suitable for spaces where surface mounting is not suitable, such as rooms with exposed ceilings. Suspension kits are usually made from metal wire or metal poles, if your area is windy we recommend using a metal pole suspension to stabilise the luminaire without wobbling.
Recessed LED Panel Light
- This most basic type of panel light is widely used in the market. Recessed installations are the most discreet option in any structure, as they are hidden in the ceiling. They do not protrude from the surface; they are attached to and flush with the wall. Cut-outs in the mounting surface are used to accommodate them and they are held in place by springs on either side.
Surface-mounted panel light ceilings
- As they have a larger profile than the recessed models, you can install surface-mounted LED panel lights on a wider range of surfaces. The mounting brackets screw into the wall or ceiling and the panels are attached to the brackets.
This is a viable method if you want to mount them on concrete ceilings or other difficult to drill areas. The standard surface mount conversion frame is combined with a conventional side-illuminated panel light. The body of the backlit panel light can be flush or open-mounted.
Based on function (dimmable or colour temperature adjustable LED panel light, colour changing LED panel light, LED backlit panel, LED sidelight panel)
Dimmable or temperature-adjustable LED panel lights
- These panels emit a large amount of light containing the full spectrum. You can use the controller to change the luminaire from a warm colour temperature to a cooler colour temperature.
In some cases, it is also possible to tune the luminous flux emitted by the luminaire to the desired illumination level.
1、LED colour changing panel lights
LED panels are available for both standard and accent lighting and their colour temperature and luminaire can be easily adjusted via remote control, making them a potentially versatile option. These panels can be hung on the wall for aesthetic purposes or used in the ceiling to change the ambient light.
2、Backlit LED panel lights
Backlit panels mean that the light source is located at the back of the frame rather than at the edge. This position allows the LED light to pass directly through the diffuser and immediately shine outwards. There is no photomask in the backlit LED, so the light comes straight out without having to be redirected.
The backlight LED also has a diffuser that softens the illumination so that direct light does not cause glare. The lampshade is unlikely to turn yellow, as it is not needed. Backlighting is usually better than sidelighting because the LEDs come from the back. In sidelight mode, the light passes through the diffuser plate. In backlighting, however, the light can only pass through the depth of the material.
3、Side-lit LED panel light
Side-lit panels have LEDs at the edges of the frame. the light baffle prevents light from shining directly upwards or downwards and allows the panel to spread the light smoothly and evenly in a given space.
The small depth of the panel gives the diffuser a smooth appearance. Sidelights can be placed on standard grid ceilings and because the panels are smooth and thin, you can place sidelight LEDs on walls and ceilings using a boom box or cable mounting kit.
4、LED panel light applications
LED panel lights have swept the industry and are now the preferred method of lighting in many environments. The reasons why so many people are switching from fluorescent lamps to LED panel lights are obvious. By understanding how LED panel lights function in a variety of settings, you can better understand the benefits of switching to this type of lighting.
The most efficient lighting for your commercial space
Businesses that provide a pleasant and productive working environment for their employees are all important, and one way to do this is with LED panel lighting. With the rising cost of electricity, energy saving has become a very important topic and our latest PBL002 series 25W LED panel luminaire can achieve the illumination effect of a normal LED panel light of 35W, where a fluorescent lamp would require around 50W. This is where the cost savings with our LED panel lights are significant.
Maintenance of any type of luminaire can affect your efficiency. As LED panel light applications last much longer, you hardly need to spend any extra effort on maintenance. In addition, they last much longer than conventional lamps.
How to choose the right
Pay attention to the following points: lumens and power, colour temperature and colour rendering index, luminaire appearance, uniform glare UGR
Luminous flux and power
The amount of luminous flux produced can be expressed in lumen units. The efficiency of an LED panel can be calculated as its lumen output divided by its wattage consumption. The higher the lumen per watt rating, the more efficient the LED panel is. The lumen per watt rating is an important consideration. It is important to consider lumens per watt when purchasing LED panel lights. Remember that a higher rating indicates a higher quality of light.
1、Colour temperature and colour rendering index
LED panels produce a consistent white light across the visible spectrum. This can be set to a cool or warm temperature, depending on the situation. In addition, their brightness can be adjusted as required.
2、LED panel light appearance
There are many LED panel types available, so choose the one that suits you best. There are different styles and functions available on the tabletop. Choose the one that suits the overall aesthetics of your space.
3、Uniform glare rating (UGR)
LED panel lights are the most suitable choice for office and industrial environments because they are built for the visual comfort of the user. LEDs don’t usually cause too much glare, but if you want to maximise your comfort, you can check the Uniform Glare Rating (UGR) rating. LED panel lights with a UGR below 20 are ideal.
If you have lighting needs for supermarkets, shops, offices, restaurants etc., you can click here to view our products and we will provide you with a free consultation and lighting design service, from solution planning to technical support for luminaire installation and commissioning. We have a strong product supply chain, all products are CE and ROHS certified, with a complete product portfolio, online service response within 24 hours and faster delivery.